There was an error in this gadget

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

To Be or Not To Be....A Tranny?

House Report: It seems that one of our patrons ate the display éclair this evening. He ordered it, paid for it, and before the cashier could get a fresh one he had eaten the display one.

A day in the life of an Executive Assistant:

I thought, since I've been so busy at work and hadn't posted anything in a while I'd share a few of my experiences in my new job. The above is just one of many dumb things patrons do during a show. Most of them are 89 years old with more than one foot in the grave which would explain the eating of a plastic display pastry. They're just happy to be alive and going to the "theata" for a classy evening of Shakespeare. Little do they know that when their bladder releases at inopportune moments leaving a trail of pittle on the way to the bathroom, all of us here at work get to read about it the next morning! (Yes that happened too).

Upon arriving at work I sit down and sort through a mountain of emails...mostly spam from the old assistant, who was fired. If you'd like to know more ask me and I'd be happy to recount the big mess that bitch created that I am currently helping to clean up two months later. But as someone put it, it was because of his stupidity that I have a job. So if you're out there, kiddo, a big thank you for making the biggest mistake of your career so that I can start mine :) Nothing like knowing that you'll never get a job in theatre again! Oh and, don't drop the soap ;)

After emails I check my to do list and check in with Michael (moving foward; MK). Sometimes days are crazy, others are quiet but I have gotten to do some pretty cool things thus far. At least to me. I may not be performing surgery or working with lab rats but I am in a position that makes me happy and gives me full, uninhibited access to the largest theater in DC much less the entire DC arts community. Plus I just got baller business cards which makes me feel like a professional again AND I get to take a Directing Class with the Associate Artistic Director for free!


Going over my to do list from last week:

1. Send correspondance to the following people: Justice Ginsburg, Chelsea and Hilary Clinton, Michelle Obama's social secretary, Justice Alito, Stephen Beyer and many more. (There's an awesome event we're planning here at STC and inviting all these members of the administration both new and old to introduce to the arts in DC).
2. Call the three leads from Dog in the Manger and schedule them for drinks on Tuesday. (I have a secret crush on David Turner; he was the lead in the national tour of Spamalot).
3. Drive the convertible back to the office to pick up tax stuff.
4. Call Bob Boyett (If you don't recognize the name you might recognize Miller-Boyett Productions...the peeps responsbile for Full House, Family Matters, Step by Step).
5. Type Senior Staff minutes
6. Update calendars
7. Schedule task force meeting with members from the Board of Trustees
8. Get Dixie Carter and Avery Brooks on the phone.

That's a good rounded summary of the kinds of things I do on a regular basis. Again, some of it is not the most appealing and mundane in nature but, as I said I'm in a place where I have infinite access to everything I want to learn about in this field and from the best of the best. Funny thing is, I've learned that MK is just a regular person like everyone else. Almost charming in his forgetful demeanor and child-like attitude towards certain things. Like his cat, for instance. Poor sucker had to get its back leg amputated. Not gonna to lie...its pretty funny to see a 3-legged cat with a plastic cone on its head scooting about on the hard wood flooring. Just visualize...you'll chuckle too, I promise. Or the way I have to take a lent brush to his suits before speaking in front of an audience or attending a cocktail reception. The job isn't quite like Devil Wears Prada but similar in nature :) I'll let you know when I start jetsetting to NYC for business!

Hope everyone is doing well!

JJ

No comments: